To provide the answer to that question, we’ll look at definitions of mobile homes and trailers, as well as how these two types of housing are treated by federal and state governments.
Finally, we’ll consider some pros and cons for owning either type of housing.
Mobile homes are typically single-story dwellings that usually have permanent foundations. They’re often larger than trailers because they need more space for bathrooms or kitchens in addition to bedrooms.
Mobile homes can cost anywhere from $10,000 to over $100,000 depending on size and amenities like air conditioning or a fireplace. The average price nationally is around $22,500 according to Us News website.
- 1 What is a Travel Trailer? It’s a Home on Wheels!
- 2 How does a travel trailer different from a mobile home?
What is a Travel Trailer? It’s a Home on Wheels!
A travel trailer is a light and small mobile home that can be pulled by a car or pickup truck.
Travel trailers are often used as recreational vehicles, but they also have other purposes. They can be decorated as you would like depending on the use for your trailer.
There are many different types of attachments available to add features such as kitchenettes, water tanks, air conditioning units, etc., so there is something to suit any need that might arise.
The size of a typical travel trailer ranges from 12’x7′ up to 40′. A smaller sized trailer could fit in an 8’x8′ space while a larger one would require more room around it (about 20′).
Travel trailers have many advantages such as:
- They take up less room than traditional homes
- They’re easier to park
- Budget friendly
- They can be moved easily if the need arises.
Travel trailers also have some disadvantages:
- They require a hook-up to electricity.
- They can only stay in one spot for 30 days before needing to move again and their homes cannot be permanent built structures.
- A travel trailer is great for people who might not want to commit themselves to a more traditional home.
How does a travel trailer different from a mobile home?
The key differences between mobile homes and trailers are generally spelt out in the regulations that govern both types of housing.
However, sometimes these definitions are slightly different from state to state, which can make things complicated for buyers who aren’t familiar with specific local rules. For example, what New Hampshire calls a “manufactured” home might actually be considered a travel trailer in Arizona because local laws may differ from one state to another.
The major differences between travel trailer and a mobile homes are:
- Mobile Homes are self-contained whereas the travel trailers need to be connected with electricity in order to provide power for all their appliances.
- Mobile homes have a permanent foundation that is built into the ground or on concrete piers, while the travel trailers are usually mounted on wheels and can easily be towed from one place to another.
- Travel trailers generally offer less living space than your average mobile home; they’re meant as a temporary solution when compared to “real” houses which can sometimes take up quite an extensive area of land.
Tips for buying a travel trailer and a RV
A lot of people are now opting to purchase travel trailers and vans because they leave you with more money to invest in other important things.
There is nothing wrong with this but before you make the final decision, it would be best if you know what makes these trailers great as well as their hidden flaws.
Here are some quick tips:
- Trailer Size: When first looking for a trailer, you will notice that the size is not something that can be overlooked.
The larger the trailer, the more money it will cost but that does not mean you should always go for the smallest one because of your budget. As much as possible, get at least 25 feet to 30.5
- Trailer Build Quality: As much as possible, get a trailer that has been proven to be durable and made of strong materials. It should also have a decent flooring and roof system which will make it last longer.
Again, what works for one person might not work for another so make sure you take your time in making this decision.
- Determine If You Want A New Or Used Trailer: A lot of people like new things but you need to think about some factors first before deciding if it’s what you really want.
Brand-new trailers will cost more money although there are some models that have low prices. It would also be good if you check whether the trailer is in excellent condition or not.
Used trailers are often sold at a lower price but they might have some hidden flaws that can affect your final decision.
- Always Take A Test Drive: This is very important in making sure that you are going to get the best out of the trailer you purchase. Ensure that you asked for a test drive before deciding if it’s something good or not. Aside from that, make sure you ask for a detailed inspection as well before deciding if it’s worth your investment or not.
- Choose the Right Manufacturer: This should be an obvious step but a lot of people tend to overlook it thinking that all travel trailers and RVs are almost the same but don’t be fooled. Manufacturers differ from one another so it’s best if you research well about different ones before making the final decision.
Note: These are just some tips and I think the best way to choose one is to prioritize what you need first. If price is an issue, go for a used trailer and make sure you do all the necessary tests before you buy it.
How to choose the right travel trailer?
Finding the right camper trailer should be simple. Follow these steps to make the process easier:
Decide upon your budget, duration of the trip and the vehicle you are going to tow. Choose a brand that is reliable enough in that price category. Browse through various online resources for reviews about the best trailers in your budget range. Visit online forums where people discuss their experiences with camper trailers. Check out if there are any deals or discounts available on any of them.
Choose a trailer trip and preferred region. Select a few brands or models for comparison.
The next step is to get some expert advice from someone who spends a lot of time with caravans or RV’s. Ideally, you should get expert advice from a shopkeeper who has experience selling and repairing trailers.
Why should I buy a travel trailer over traditional camping?
Trailers open up a whole new world of freedom that’s comparable to the transition from tents to RVs in the 1970s.
Travel trailers make camping easier by giving you access to amenities that allow you to spend more time outside and less time preparing meals, cleaning dishes, pumping water for showers, etc.
A travel trailer is not considered a mobile home. They are primarily used for recreational purposes, while mobile homes can be rented out and live in full time.
If you would like to learn more about the differences between these two types of living arrangements, please feel free to reach out so that we may connect you with one of our experts who specializes in this area.
We’re happy to answer any questions!