When most people think about trailer theft, they might picture a group of criminals trying to steal a large trailer filled with expensive equipment.
However, there are many types of trailers that can be stolen, and each has its own purpose for thieves.
In this post, we’ll take a look at some common scenarios for trailer theft and what kind of criminal activity perpetrators might engage in. Let’s take a look at some common examples!
Types of trailers that are commonly stolen
- Utility trailers
- Horse trailers
- Cargo trailers
- Campers and travel trailers
- Boat trailers
While some trailer thefts are opportunistic crimes, others are carefully planned and executed by professional thieves.
How Thieves Steal Trailers?
There are a few different ways that thieves can steal trailers.
- The most common method is simply to hitch the trailer to a vehicle and drive away. This is why it’s important to use strong locks on your trailer hitch.
- Another common method is to use a stolen truck or SUV to tow the trailer away.
- Finally, some thieves will simply pick up the entire trailer and load it into a larger truck or van.
What Do Thieves Do With Stolen Trailers?
The answer to this question depends on the type of trailer that was stolen.
- Utility trailers are often used by thieves to haul away large items such as construction equipment or landscaping tools.
- Horse trailers are popular among thieves because they often contain valuable equipment such as saddles and horseshoes.
- Cargo trailers are often stolen by thieves looking to smuggle drugs or other contraband across state or national borders.
- Campers and travel trailers are sometimes stolen by thieves looking for a place to live or to use as a base of operations for other criminal activities.
- Finally, boat trailers are often stolen by thieves looking to sell the boat or the trailer separately.
How can you protect your trailer from being stolen?
There are a few different things you can do to prevent your trailer from being stolen.
- One thing you can do is to invest in a good quality security system. This can include things like an alarm system, GPS tracking, and strong locks.
- Another thing you can do is park your trailer in a well-lit and visible area. This will make it more difficult for thieves to steal your trailer without being seen.
- Finally, you can engrave your name or initials into the metal of the trailer. This will help to identify the trailer if it is stolen and recovered by the police.
By taking these precautions, you can help to ensure that your trailer stays exactly where it belongs – with you!
What to do if your trailer is stolen?
If your trailer is stolen, the first thing you should do is contact the police. Next, you should check to see if your insurance policy covers trailer theft. If it does, you will need to file a claim.
Lastly, you should take steps to prevent your trailer from being stolen in the future by investing in a good quality security system.
How to tell if a utility trailer is stolen?
There are a few different ways that you can tell if a utility trailer is stolen.
- One way is to check the VIN number: This can be done by looking for the VIN number on the side of the trailer near the hitch. If the VIN number has been removed or tampered with, the trailer is likely stolen.
- Another way to tell if a trailer is stolen is by checking the registration sticker. This sticker should be located on the tongue of the trailer. If the sticker is missing or has been tampered with, the trailer is likely stolen.
- Finally, you can check to see if the lights on the trailer are working. If the trailer has been stolen, the thieves may have disconnected the lights to avoid being seen.
If you suspect that a trailer is stolen, you should contact the police immediately.
So, what do thieves do with stolen trailers? The answer is simple – they use them to commit other crimes. By stealing a trailer, the thief has access to a valuable piece of equipment that can be used for several criminal activities.
This makes it important for businesses and individuals to take steps to protect their trailers from theft. Implementing security measures such as locks and tracking devices can help reduce the chances of your trailer being stolen.
And if your trailer is ever stolen, make sure you report it to the police so that they can investigate and catch the thief.
Although trailer theft rates have decreased over the years, there are still ways to prevent your trailer from being stolen. By following these tips and using common sense, you can help keep your trailer safe from thieves.