Generators are a popular item to have in an RV and for good reason, they provide power when you need it most. But how long do generators last? And what should you do if yours needs maintenance or repair?
In this blog post, we’ll answer those questions and more. So whether you’re a first time generator owner or just looking for information on keeping your equipment in good shape, read on!
How Long Can You Run an RV Generator?
The average lifespan of a generator is around 8-10 years with proper maintenance. However, some generators may last longer up to 15 years or more while others may only last a few years.
It all depends on the make and model of the generator, how often it’s used and how well it’s maintained.
Factors affect On the lifespan of RV generator
Several factors can affect how long your RV generator will last. These include:
- Brand and model of the generator
- How often it’s used
- Whether it’s properly maintained
- Types of loads it’s typically run under
- Quality of fuel used
- The environment it’s stored in
So, if you want your generator to last as long as possible it’s important to keep all of these factors in mind.
How to care for your generator to extend its life?
There are several things you can do to help extend the life of your generator. These include:
1) Running it regularly: Even if you don’t need power it’s a good idea to start up your generator and let it run for a while every few weeks. This will help keep all the parts working properly and prevent any rust or corrosion from building up.
2) Storing it properly: When you’re not using your generator, be sure to store it in a dry and well ventilated area.
If possible, put it on a platform or raised surface so that water can’t get into the engine. And make sure to cover it to protect it from the elements.
3) Maintaining it regularly: Just like any other piece of machinery, generators require regular maintenance to keep them running properly.
Be sure to check the oil level and change it as needed, clean the air filter regularly and inspect all the hoses and connections for signs of wear or damage.
4) Using the right fuel: It’s important to use the type of fuel recommended by the manufacturer. For example, if your generator is designed for use with unleaded gasoline, don’t use diesel fuel.
Doing so can damage the engine and shorten the life of your generator.
5) Avoid running it under too much strain: Try to avoid putting too much strain on your generator by running multiple high-wattage devices at the same time.
If you need a lot of power, it’s better to use two smaller generators than one larger one. This will help prevent the engine from overheating and reduce the risk of damage.
So, make sure to keep all of these tips in mind to help extend the life of your generator.
What Cost of replacing or repairing an RV generator?
If your RV generator does need to be replaced or repaired the cost will vary depending on the make and model of the generator as well as the type of damage.
For example, a new carburetor for a small generator may only cost a few hundred dollars while a complete engine replacement for a large generator can cost several thousand dollars.
So, it’s important to keep in mind that the cost of repairs or replacement can vary widely.
Tips for prolonging the life of your RV generator
There are several tips you can do to help prolong the life of your RV generator. As we mentioned below, running it regularly, storing it properly and maintaining it regularly are all important.
In addition, here are a few more tips to keep in mind:
1) Use a generator cover: A generator cover can help protect your generator from the elements and extend its life.
2) Add a fuel stabilizer: If you’re going to be storing your generator for a long time, adding a fuel stabilizer to the gas can help prevent corrosion and extend its life.
3) Get it serviced regularly: Just like your car, your generator needs to be serviced regularly to keep it running properly.
Be sure to take it to a qualified service technician for regular maintenance.
4) Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines: Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for operating and maintaining your generator.
Each model is different and has specific requirements so it’s important to read the manual and follow the instructions.
By following these tips you can help extend the life of your RV generator and avoid the need for repairs or replacement.
FAQs – RV Generating Running Life
How often should an RV generator be serviced?
Most RV generators need to be serviced every 100 hours or once a year, whichever comes first. But some factors can affect how often you need to service your generator such as how often you use it and what type of generator you have.
For example: If you have an air-cooled generator, you may need to service it more often than a liquid-cooled generator. And if you use your generator regularly, you may need to service it more often than if you only use it occasionally.
And remember, regular maintenance is the key to keeping your generator running properly and extending its life.
Can you run an RV generator all night?
Yes, you can run an RV generator all night. But there are a few things to keep in minds such as noise level and operating hours.
For example, most RV generators have a “run time” of 8-10 hours before they need to be refueled. So, if you plan on running your generator all night you’ll need to have enough fuel to last the entire night.
In addition, most generators have a “night mode” which allows them to run at a lower RPM and produce less noise.
Can I Run an RV Generator while driving?
No, you cannot run your RV generator while driving. The engine produces exhaust that contains carbon monoxide which is a deadly gas.
So, it’s important to make sure the generator is turned off and the area around the RV is well-ventilated before starting the engine.
Most RV generators are not designed to be run while driving. So, it’s important to consult your owner’s manual or a qualified service technician before attempting to do so.
Does my RV generator charge my batteries?
No, your RV generator does not charge your batteries. The generator produces AC power that is used to run appliances and lights.
It does not produce the DC power that is used to charge batteries. To charge your RV batteries, you’ll need to use a battery charger or an inverter.
So, how long do RV generators last? The answer to this question depends on a variety of factors such as the type of generator you have and how often it’s used.
However, with proper maintenance and care your RV generator should last for many years. Follow our tips for keeping your generator in top condition and it will serve you well for years to come. Thanks for reading our guide to RV generators, we hope it was helpful!