Is RV Antifreeze Toxic for Humans, Animals and Plants?

Antifreeze is a liquid that is used to stop the freezing of fluids in your car’s engine. It contains chemicals like propylene glycol and methanol, which can be deadly if ingested by humans or pets.

RV antifreeze also contains these ingredients but it has been specifically designed for use with diesel engines.

The main difference between rv and automotive antifreeze is that the latter will freeze at a much lower temperature than the former, making it less likely to cause damage to an engine as temperatures drop below 0°C (32°F).

How RV Antifreeze is Toxic for Humans?

1) Adverse Health Effects for Humans

While antifreeze does contain some ingredients that are safe for human consumption, such as ethylene glycol and methanol. It also contains other chemicals: including ethylene dichloride and polyethene glycol.

These two chemicals are not edible but can cause adverse health effects if consumed by humans and animals (Dogs & Cats).

In fact, prolonged exposure to ethylene dichloride can lead to damage to the liver and kidneys. It is therefore important that you do not consume any amount of antifreeze.

2) Toxic for Animals & Children’s

If you have pets or children running around your home, make sure that they do not come into contact with any amount of antifreeze at all. Otherwise, they are at risk of suffering from adverse health effects, including a host of painful symptoms and possibly died later on.

3) Produce Toxic Fumes when Mixed with Alcohol

Many people do not know that antifreeze can be mixed with alcohol such as vodka to produce a toxic liquid that is called “toxic alcohol” or “toxic anti-freeze”.

The mixture may look like lemonade but it is actually corrosive and will cause severe burns if you drink it. It also contains methanol, which can make you go blind when consumed in large amounts.

4) RV Antifreeze toxic for Plants

RV Antifreeze toxic for Plants

You also need to be aware that antifreeze produced for vehicles can leak into the soil and pollute it. And this toxic antifreeze affects plants growth and their eventual development.

While some plants may suffer from the direct effect of antifreeze in soil, many other plants will not be affected by it but the effects will pass on to animals and humans that happen to consume those vegetables or fruits.

It is therefore important that you dispose of it properly.

IS RV Antifreeze toxic for Animals/Pets/Dogs?

IS RV Antifreeze toxic for Animals

Is rv antifreeze toxic for Animals? There is only one brand of antifreeze that i know of that isn’t poisonous, and that is boondox. It is 100% propylene glycol and the animals will not absorb any ethylene glycol at all.

We’ve got lots of good information in our archives about the dangers of antifreeze (which is made from a toxic chemical called ethylene glycol). Even so, a pet owner recently wrote to me with questions about how antifreeze affects pets and what signs she can watch for if one of her cats ingested the substance.

So far, I’ve only found information that indicates it’s toxic.

As a pet and wildlife rehabilitator who has worked with antifreeze poisoning cases for years, my first concern is always to educate people that antifreeze isn’t just deadly to pets – many birds and wild animals die each year when they ingest this poison too.

Unfortunately, it’s also a common misconception that antifreeze is “harmless” if pets don’t digest it or only harmful if they do.

It doesn’t take much for your pet to be poisoned by antifreeze. The amount of ethylene glycol (antifreeze) in one-half cup could easily kill a 10-pound dog and the lethal dose for a cat is even smaller.

And remember, young animals are particularly susceptible to poisoning because their livers are not yet fully developed. Animals who ingest antifreeze can also become in coordinated, weak and depressed as a result of ethylene glycol ingestion.

So what does this mean? If you suspect that your dog or cat has ingested antifreeze, time is of the essence.

When a pet ingests ethylene glycol (antifreeze) it must be treated immediately and symptoms can vary depending on how much was ingested and the individual animal’s metabolism.

Here are some signs to look for if you suspect that your dog or cat has had access to antifreeze:

  • Excessive thirst and urination
  • Excessive drooling
  • Vomiting (may contain blood)
  • Loss of appetite
  • Depression
  • Sneezing
  • Lethargy/Weakness

Antifreeze poisoning can cause severe illness or death in pets within only minutes after ingestion.

Antifreeze contains a chemical called ethylene glycol, which is a sweet tasting ingredient used to keep engine coolant from freezing during the winter.

Ethylene glycol (EG) causes an increase in increased heart rate, urination, dehydration, low blood pressure, tremors, seizures and possibly death in both humans and animals. It can also cause vomiting. In humans and animals alike, it causes kidney failure within 48-72 hours.

Antifreeze poisoning occurs most often in dogs and cats after they lick up or chew on antifreeze from under parked vehicles. Even if you don’t see your pet ingest any antifreeze, be aware that simply smelling it may result in severe illness or death!

What should I do if I have accidentally swallowed antifreeze?

If your child has accidentally consumed some amount of automotive or RV antifreeze, there are a few things you need to do immediately to help them recover from the toxicity of the chemical.

First, call your city emergency helpline or take the child to an emergency room immediately. So He can receive immediate medical care.

You can then follow these steps until first aid stuff arrived:

1) Induce vomiting by giving your baby salt water (mix 1 tablespoon salt with 8 ounces warm water), syrup of ipecac or something similar.

2) give your baby nothing to drink for two hours and give them no food for eight hours; this will help minimize any absorption into the bloodstream.

Ruby Nicholls

I am a traveling journalist and content creator, in love with the world of Mobile Homes & RVs. I spend my time filling up on new adventures, and sharing them with you so you can feel inspired to travel too! Every experience is different and at the end, we are all tourists of our own lives.

Recent Posts