This blog post is for anyone who has ever wanted to paint their bathtub without worrying about the mess.
Painting a plastic tub might seem like an impossible task, but it’s not! It just takes some patience and knowledge on how to get the job done right.
Painting a bathtub can be tricky. Whether you are painting your plastic bathtub or the metal one, there are some important things to keep in mind that will help you get the best results.
One of the most important aspects is preparation. There are many different types of paint available for this task, but if it is not done correctly, then it will peel and chip off over time.
There are a few things to consider before painting your plastic bathtub.
The first step is ensuring that you have the right paint for the job.
Acrylic latex paints work best, but it’s important not to use them on acrylic tub surfaces or they will cause damage.(Wikipedia.com)
If you don’t want any hassle at all, there are sealant coatings available that can be applied which provide an excellent surface for painters and last longer than most regular coats of paint would without chipping off easily.
Once you’ve purchased your product, make sure to follow these steps in order!
Steps to Paint a Plastic Bathtub in a Mobile Home
Here are few simple steps to paint a plastic bathtub in a mobile home.
1- Make sure the area around the tub is free from any debris such as hair, soap residue and other dirt.
2- Clean the entire surface with TSP to remove all grease or anything that might interfere with your paint job. Apply a good coat of primer after removing all loose particles and let it dry for few minutes.
3- Apply two coats of high-quality enamel paint and you’re done! Voila, just like that you have a new bathtub!
Always test out your paints on a small portion first before painting an entire surface. Painting plastic tubs are not an exact science but if you follow steps carefully then you should be able to get beautiful, long-lasting results.
The best part about this project is that a professional level paint job is available to everyone. Hiring a painter might cost an arm and a leg, but if you do it on your own then you can save some money as well!
Also Read: How To Paint Mobile Home Paneling?
Tips for Painting Bathtub in a Mobile Home
Here are few tips before starting this task:
Preparation is the key to success when dealing with any home improvement projects. Make sure you read all instructions carefully or call professionals for help if needed.
- Prepare your workspace by covering the ground surface with drop cloths. This will protect both yourself and floor surfaces from spills and splashes during the application of paints.
- Be careful while using ladders to avoid accidents like slipping or falling.
- When you are painting a plastic bathtub in a mobile home, you need to use specific types of paint.
Enamel paints work best when it comes to painting plastic tubs because they dry quickly and provide long-lasting results.
They also prevent rust from forming on the surface. Plus they can be easily cleaned off with water which makes them pretty convenient too!
- Paint quality is very important when painting your plastic bathtub in a mobile home so always use enamel paint for better results. Enamel paints are rated by their level of gloss which ranges from satin to high-gloss finish.
- Low VOC paint is recommended for the bathroom so always go for low odor paints such as water-based acrylic alkyd enamel. They create very little fumes and give excellent results too!
Always paint in an open area or outside with good ventilation.
If you want to apply a second coat of paint, then let the first coat dry and sand it lightly and otherwise, just let the first coat dry completely before putting any items back into the tub like shampoo bottles and whatnots.
Paint a plastic bathtub with ease using these steps and helpful tips!
Also Read: Best Paint For Mobile Home Aluminum Siding
How do you resurface a plastic bathtub?
There are a lot of ways to resurface a plastic bathtub. Here is just one example:
- Wash the tub with soap and water. Scrape off any old caulk around the base of the tub. Sand down any bumps or ridges on the surface of the tub with course-grit sandpaper, but be careful not to damage the surrounding wall tiles.
- Clean away all dust from sanding with a damp cloth and let dry for 24 hours before applying a new surface coating.
- Apply an epoxy primer over entire bathroom surfaces where new caulking will seal gaps between wall tiles and tub or shower surround.
- Use a roller brush or paint pad to spread epoxy over the entire area, then let dry according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Can you paint a plastic bathtub?
Yes, it is possible to paint a plastic bathtub. Several different types of paint can be used for this purpose. Using the right type of paint will help ensure that your tub continues to look good over time.
The best way to find out which kind of paint will work best for you is to do some research on various brands and types of paints until you discover one that seems like it would work well for your specific needs.
Are mobile home bathtubs plastic?
Some mobile homes have fiberglass tubs, which are not made from plastic.
However, some mobile home tubs are made from a material called acrylic or “plastic” and these can usually be painted using the same type of paint that you would use to paint a bathtub in your own home.
In conclusion, painting a plastic bathtub is an easy and inexpensive way to make your mobile home feel more like home. This project will take about 3-4 hours total depending on the size of the tub.
You must use acrylic paint as it won’t peel off or chip away over time with regular wear and tear from water exposure.
We hope this article was helpful for those of you who are considering painting your mobile home bathtub!